Terrier Mark 2- It's All Gone Pete Tong

Unfortunately I wasn't particularly happy with the original colour and after a bit of thought I decided to try and add some darker lining to it. I then thought it would be a good idea to try and do not one but two colours by hand. Hmm. Not quite sure what I was thinking.

Anyway, needless to say it looked awful so I ended up rubbing it down to try and get something I could put a new coat of paint on. 

This was the state of affairs a couple of days ago:
Anyway, after a bit of thought I decided to paint it in a more subdued colour rather than repaint it in the same one. I picked out Humbrol 86 as appropriate.

That then looked rather flat and at this point as I needed to put some gloss on for the transfers I nabbed James Hilton's trick and gloss varnished the whole thing to try and give it some oomph.

The transfers that James had designed were 'fun' to put on with my complete lack of ability at this part of the hobby and I think they still look wonky. 

Anyway, the Terrier now looks like this:

It doesn't, needless to say, look great and is a bit reminiscent of those 009 locos you see with gloss paint lathered on with a 3 inch brush but oh well. It still needs the black going back over and touching in, but otherwise hopefully after a coat of matt lacquer and some weathering it might be improved.
This isn't, needless to say, the best job I've ever made of a loco but hopefully whatever comes next will be better. 

Comments

  1. If in doubt get the paint stripper out! Sometimes paint jobs go wrong, its frustrating but it happens. Have you an airbrush?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I might have to strip it, that might be the easiest thing. Decided to leave it now, hopefully come back tomorrow or whatever with a bit more enthusiasm!

      Delete
  2. Hopefully a coat of dull-cote will help hide some of the imperfections. You're unlucky to be sharing these models with the world, whereas my early models were only witnessed by my despairing Dad and best friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On second thoughts, yes it might be worth a coat of matt varnish to see if it looks any better. Maybe I should've just quietly 'retired' this one rather than posting about it!

      Delete
    2. Hey Harry. Don't retire it quietly on account of others seeing it. It is really refreshing to see what works and what doesn't. I'm in the same boat as you really, just working it out as I go along. Nice to see, so keep posting. I found that an airbrush transformed things for me though. I still do the smokebox etc by hand, but the rest is all airbrushed.
      Ben N

      Delete
    3. Thank you Ben. There's a more recent update with the finished loco, I'd hope I managed to rescue things 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment