Stock and track for the WDR...

Track is a bit of a departure for me- I've only built this trial piece so far, but I'm using Code 60 rail and coffee stirrer sleepers to represent spiked light railway track - these are currently scale size but I think I might need to shorten them as they make the OO gauge very obvious. This trial piece isn't quite right as I haven't got the right pins yet, these are roundhead escutcheon pins so the wrong shape and size (and I don't think I used enough of them as it's not quite in gauge at the ends)


This aerial view makes it look distorted though it looks fine in real life! The roundhead pins made it hard to get the rail square- I have some more arriving soon.


Soldering is a bit messy at the moment but it's getting better!

Otherwise, I've built a coach and full brake.
The coach is Ratio ends, Mainline Toad chassis and Thomas toy sides whilst the brake is Triang clerestory bits on a Ratio chassis.
I did the roof as if it had been partially re-canvassed but I'm not sure it works. The roof is from a couple of scrap pieces from another couple of Triang clerestories I think, the bits were in a job lot.
Couplings are my own invention but I've since seen some which look similar. I'm planning on modelling the early '50s period, maybe a preservation society are close to taking over part of the line. Allows me to use a rather nice Hornby J94 which I'll convert to industrial condition.
A close up on the peeling paint effect I have tried:
Although this closeup is a little harsh!
Another closeup on the ripped canvas:
Again, easier to see with the naked eye as my camera isn't great.
The full brake again.
Apologies as these photos are a little over exposed.
The sooty roof I tried to achieve on this roof.

So far I only have these three bits of rolling stock finished but I've got a Terrier arriving soon, whilst I'm planning a couple of scratchbuilt locos in addition to the Austerity, whilst a pannier, prairie and Dean Goods are all ripe for adaptation. I also have lots of bits and pieces of coaches including a large quantity of Hornby 4 wheeler plain body mouldings and Ratio clerestories, Triang clerestories and Ratio 4-wheelers (I bought 6 of these at £2 each a while ago).

The only thing I'm short on is a track plan and some wagons, as the ones I have look a little crude. Ratio and Cambrian seem to make some interesting prototypes.

Comments

  1. Lovely! Great feel to these, scream 'Harry Dawe' to me in their execution and colouring. I can't wait to see a locomotive emerge. If you lived closer I'd build a module and join in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm currently detailing and repainting a Dean Goods as an ex-WD example bought after WW1, and I'm tinkering with a Terrier too. Why not build a module, I'm sure we could put them together at some point, maybe an exhibition or something! Currently laying track on a 4x1 micro which I'll post soon...

      Delete

Post a Comment